In this section: Cigarette Licenses | Dog Licenses | Vendor Licenses

Vendor Licenses

Every Ohio retailer (vendor) making taxable retail sales must obtain a vendor's license, collect sales tax, file tax returns with payments of tax collected and maintain complete records of transactions. Ohio Revised Code: Chapter 5739

There are different types of vendor's licenses for different types of businesses. Depending on the nature of the business one or more of the following licenses must be obtained.

Regular Vendor's License: Issued by the County Auditor to vendors with a fixed place of business in Ohio. Vendors must have a vendor's license for each sales location.

Transient Vendor's License:Issued by the Department of Taxation to vendors who transport stocks of goods to temporary places of business in order to make sales. Valid in all 88 Counties of Ohio.

The Application Fee for all types of vendor's licenses is $25.00

Vendor's licenses are not transferable. Any change in ownership (sole proprietor to partnership, partnership to corporation, corporation to sole proprietor, partnership to sole proprietor) requires a new license. Vendors licenses are transferrable from one address in the county to another address within the same county.

Vendor License listings are ran on a bi-monthly basis and can be viewed in a PDF format by clicking on the links below.

Frequently Asked Questions

The sales tax rate in Ohio is currently 5.75%, but it may vary in different counties. Trumbull County has a sales tax rate of 6.75%. For further information, please contact the Department of Taxation’s sales tax payer assistance line at 888-405-4039.

If you are moving your business location from one address to another WITHIN Trumbull County, a new vendor’s license is not required. Please contact the Auditor’s office to update the address of your existing vendors license and obtain a new copy with your updated address. If you are a new business in Trumbull County, a new vendor’s license is required.

When ownership changes, a new vendor license must be obtained, for instance, when moving from a sole proprietorship to a partnership or from a partnership to a corporation, among others.

No. A new mailing address does not require a new license.

Yes, seasonal vendors must file returns even if no sales are made and no taxes are due. Failure to file a return can result in fines and penalties.

A final return can be filed on the Ohio Business Gateway and the vendor’s license can be canceled at that time. You may also call the Ohio Department of Taxation at 888-405-4039 to cancel your license.

Certain types of businesses require other licenses or permits from different bodies. They include, but are not limited to:
  • Motor vehicle sales – Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  • Watercraft/outboard motor sales – Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Watercraft Division